Maybe you’ve read similar posts like this one before but I decided it to write it because I recently booked a flight for my next adventure (really excited :D) for half the price it usually is and also because many people think flights to other countries/continents are very expensive to get but is not like that anymore.
So I want to help you finding that ticket to your dream destination without spending so much money.
I see a lot of people paying crazy amounts of money to travel agencies for tickets they can get themselves, believe me it just takes a little time and it can save you a lot of money!
Here are a few easy steps you can follow to get your tickets in a cheaper price:
- Check on airfare search sites: They help you to compare prices between airlines, some of my favorites and the ones I usually use are skyscanner.com, Kayak.com, google.com/flights, Momondo.com. I check on each one of them to compare how the prices are.
- Check the prices on the airlines website directly: After the last step I can see how the prices are looking so I go and check with the airlines sites directly because sometimes they offer a cheaper price, check them just in case.
- Start looking with some time in advance but not too early: For international flights it’s good to start checking with 3 months in advance if you already have your dates set but if not then 6-8 weeks before your trip is supposed to be the best time to find great fares. It has worked for me every time.
- Set up a price alert on Kayak.com or Skyscanner.com: They notify you via email if the prices on the destination you want increase or drop. You can also set up the alert with other airfare search sites but I usually do it with these two.
- Clear your cookies: When searching for flights clear your cookies or use a different computer/gadget. Airlines and search sites might be tracking your history so the prices will go up for flights that are searched frequently.
- Be a little flexible with your dates: Not many travelers have that flexibility but if you can look up for dates 3-6 plus/minus days from your dates sometimes it makes a big difference in the price. That’s what just happened to me with the ticket I recently purchased, I had a look on a price 6 days before the date I was thinking on leaving and got it half the price!
- Traveling on Tuesdays or Wednesdays: I read this once a very long time ago and started it doing it since then and it has worked for me almost all of the times. I have found better prices traveling those days than any other day of the week.
I hope these few steps can help you to save some money in your next tickets. I have been doing each one of them for some time now and they have really worked for me, I usually find great prices. What other secrets do you have for booking cheap flights? Share them in the comments below!
Hope you find great prices and happy adventures 🙂
Photos by me